Title My Fancy
There has been some confusion surrounding the name of my blog? The purpose of this post is to settle all current and future rumors regarding the title "David ex Machina" once and for all.
Well for the most part, it's true, and the best practical example of this is trying to register a domain on the web. I mean there's an entire business behind "domaining," the business of buying and selling names on the internet, most easily appreciated by the sale of "sex.com" for $14 Million (article)! There are a couple of ways around this however: actually come up with a new idea, be clever at rearranging words for your needs that still get the same message across (i.e. Digg), or just take an ego hit and buy one.
Let me start by explaining the difficulty in choosing the name for a blog, or any website for that matter. It's hard. Ever heard the quote:
"There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt."
-Audre Lorde
I tried to be clever in coming up with "David ex Machina," almagamizing my own name with a prudent Latin phrase, "deus ex machina." The phrase was used in ancient times, when Greek playwrights needed something to miraculously solve all the problems in the story, they relied on a "deus ex machina," a god-like intervention or miracle. The phrase can also mean "god through the machine."
I think the title is apropos, as it resonates with me interacting with you through an internet-work of machines. I also hope that my blog can be of enough interest that you will welcome a David-like intervention on a regular basis. Plus, I like the ring of it. Only time will tell the effectiveness of my blog's name, but if I were you, I'd start stocking up on *exmachina domains.