Pandemic Living: Tips

Proper Food Pouring

After living with the pandemic for 8 months, I’ve compiled a list of learnings and activities that have helped me cope*. Maybe they can help you too.

  • Have a token to remind you that things are not normal, like growing out your hair. This is especially good for remembering to wash your hands. 

  • Chores are the new commute. I would always listen to a podcast to and from work, but lost that luxury when the pandemic started. It took me months to realize I could listen to one while doing dishes. So much more enjoyable.

  • Rest your eyes. With so much telework, it’s easy to overload them. I have come to re-appreciate and trust my other senses. From touching the carpet to find crumbs, to using my hands to clean dishes, and to using my sense of smell to determine outdoor air quality.

  • Use a physical divider, or a virtual background, during work video calls. It gives privacy and reduces anxiety. 

  • Don’t wear headphones all day, it’s probably bad for your hearing and becomes uncomfortable real fast. Use speakers when possible. 

  • Prefer phone calls when possible; much better dialogue. 


  • A few tips around the kitchen: 

    • Stack cleaner plates under dirtier plates. This helps reduce the spread of mess, although it is more precarious when carrying plates to the sink.

    • Reuse the same set of silverware and dishware throughout the day. It preserves flavor and requires less cleaning.

    • When storing food into containers, try to match the width of the plate into the widest part of the container to reduce spillage during transport. I had this breakthrough when I matched a bowl with the diagonal of a rectangular Tupperware (pictured above). 

    • Compact your cans. Physically compressing the items in your recycling and trash bins is fun and will reduce the number of garbage runs you have to make. But do not compost, expunge immediately to avoid foul odors.  


  • Stress relievers when daily exercise, reading, painting, and meditation don't quite cut it:

    • Punching boxes to breakdown recycling is incredibly therapeutic.

    • Make a sauna out of sunlight. Make the most of your surroundings.

    • Get organized, or minimize. The choice is Marie Kondo or a Prepper/Hoarder, but you must pick one, and you’ll feel better when you do.

    • Give yourself a break. Eat dessert every day. 

    • Change it up, if it’s not working.



*I do not do all of these.

Popular posts from this blog

A Sophisticated Crypto Scam & The Power of Social Engineering

Why Watch The NFL

The Water Scale